Monday, July 21, 2014

College Road Trip

I have two sons entering their senior year of high school this Fall, so we've spent the past week touring colleges. The trip took me across five states in eight days. If you've ever toured a campus you know that having walking shoes on is a must; we probably walked over 15 miles total. My wife and sons were sore and we were all glad the trip was over. I'm not sure we found the college for them, but we did omit many that aren't the right fit.

What surprised me the most was the lack of technology I saw at these prestigious universities. I fully expected to gain many new insights, see cutting edge technology, bring back these ideas to my campus; however, besides computer labs with wireless printing anywhere on campus, nothing I saw was more advanced than what we have at Castleberry ISD. In fact, the technology we are using in the high school classrooms is in many ways more advanced than that of the classrooms at the college level. I am sure the labs at the college level utilize more technology, but the regular classrooms mirror our classrooms before we infused technology many years ago.

2 comments:

  1. I have noticed that too. CISD is VERY progressive with technology implementation. Hopefully our graduates won't be too lost if they attend a college or work in the workplace that is behind. Maybe they can initiate the change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hear the reinforcement that CISD is so technologically advanced and still growing!!

    ReplyDelete