Monday, January 5, 2015

Setting goals for the new year

It's that time.... a new year has just begun, and many of us are thinking about setting goals or resolutions. Here are three tips on setting your own personal or professional goals.


1.) Make the goal realistic
2.) The goal should be measurable
3.) Tell people about your goal, ask them to support you in your pursuit of the goal

Years ago I heard about setting SMART goals. (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely) For me, the three steps I listed above are most important in setting goals.

Realistic- It would not be wise for me to make a goal that is outside what is realistic. I've worked hard for all I have, not much has been handed to me throughout my life. For me to make an unrealistic goal, I'd have to expect that many aspects of the goal be handed to me freely. As an example, if I made a goal of becoming the president in 2016, that would be unrealistic because I have not been preparing as a presidential candidate would have. Instead, a realistic goal would be blogging more frequently or planning for my kids college.

Measurable- I've found that not including a success measure in goals makes them wishes, not goals. If I were to make a goal of loosing weight in 2015 and didn't assign a number of pounds too my goal, then how would I know if it were successful? Make your goals measurable.

Tell others- My friends and family are extremely supportive; I wouldn't have attained all I have without their support. If I told them about a goal, they would not only support me, they would hold me accountable.

Whatever your new years resolutions or goals are this year. Be sure you make them realistic, you are able to measure them, and you tell others about them so they can support you and hold you accountable.

Wishing you a fantastic 2015!!

No comments:

Post a Comment